The weather is getting warmer and it’s giving me all the summer feels. Nothing says summer like fresh strawberries! I recently went to a local strawberry patch with my 2 year old and barely made it home with what we picked!
Some strawberries did survive and it inspired me to make a super simple strawberry pie I found over at https://www.thecountrycook.net/farmhouse-strawberry-pie.
This recipe was perfect because it was simple, didn’t take alot of time to make and I already had everything on hand except strawberry gelatin! In the original post, this pie is called Shoney’s Strawberry Pie. (This is what originally drew me to the post because I grew up eating at Shoney’s and loved their pies!) The video linked says Farmhouse Strawberry Pie. Somehow calling it Farmhouse Strawberry Pie makes me feel less guilty about indulging in a slice with a nice dollop of whipped cream on top!
Farmhouse Strawberry Pie
1-(9-inch) frozen pie crust
1 cup water
1 cup white granulated sugar
3 TBSP cornstarch
1/4 cup strawberry gelatin powder (JELL-O)
1 pint of fresh strawberries (hulled and sliced)
- Prebake the pie crust according to the directions and cool to room temperature.
- Wash and hull strawberries then cut them in half. If you have to look up what it means to hull a strawberry like I did click here.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat combine water, sugar, cornstarch and strawberry gelatin.
- Whisk continuously while heating to avoid clumping or scorching until it comes to a gentle boil. (They really are not kidding about this! Cut the heat off right as it comes to the gentle boil, mine was a little thicker than I would have liked.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow mixture to cool. As the mixture cools it will thicken slightly and become more translucent. (They advised setting it in the sink with ice water to help it to cool quicker, which was a fabulous tip!)
- Whisk the mixture occasionally as it cools.
- Add your strawberries to the pie shell.
- Pour gelatin mixture over your strawberries making sure to get in all the nooks and crannies!
- Chill in the refrigerator at least 2-3 hours before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream!
Calories: 349kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 140mg | Potassium: 154mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 0.2% | Vitamin C: 56.2% | Calcium: 2% | Iron: 6.5%